Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday 21 July 2012

Hospital bed rest day 74 W31D4:Humpty Dumpty lays down on the bed - strict bed rest!

Well, it seems like I have gone from tolerable-enough discomfort to barely-tolerable discomfort!  Over the past week, my discomfort has been increasing.  As much as I try to continue being as mobile as possible, making sure I waddle up and down the ward a few times a day, its getting harder and harder to waddle, get on and off my bed, sit, bend or stand for long.  A few days ago, DH asked me why I was walking like Humpty Dumpty but I can't help it!  I do feel like Humpty Dumpty.

Yesterday morning, I was feeling particularly uncomfortable.  Even lying down on my bed felt uncomfortable.  Breathing has become more difficult, the joints of my legs were hurting and my belly has starting to itch a little again - a reminder that my poor stretched skin continues to tear as my belly continues to expand.  Sometimes, I can't even tell if my bladder is full because I feel uncomfortable even when my bladder is not full.  The pressure on my pelvic is getting worse, so every step I take I feel the pain of the pressure.

Then, it was time for my scan with my Peri.  My scans are now scheduled on a weekly basis; it was biweekly before.  My Peri checked the babies' ammonic fluid and heart rate and everything was good.  He decided to do one last transvaginal scan to check the length of my cervix.  Bad news!  The first measurement of my cervix was 1.3cm, the second just about 2cm. Also, we could now see part of baby A's head on the screen during the transvaginal scan, which means that baby A has dropped lower and is positioned at my cervix.  That explains the increasing pelvic pressure I feel when I try to walk!  Baby A is pushing is head down my cervix with his two brothers on top of him - that's as lot of pressure for my poor pelvic!


Well, that was it.  My peri doesn't want me walking/waddling around the ward any more.  He said that apart from going to the washroom and taking my shower, I should be in bed.  He also said that the next two weeks were critical, because I could go into labor any time and they would have to perform an emergency C-section.

The nurses acted very quickly the moment I returned to my ward.  They rearranged some furniture and moved my bed closer to the bathroom.  They have started offering to bathe me - which I refused, but I have started bathing with a chair.  They also gave me an ice cream bell to ring whether I need assistance, since the help button is stupidly placed on the wall beyond my reach.

So now I am really on bed rest!  Although being on strict bed rest this isn't going to be fun, I know that this is the best thing I can do for my babies, because I don't want my cervix to get any shorter!  I don't want to go into labor and I definitely don't want an emergency C-section!  Previously I walk around a lot in my room, pottering from the bed to the refrigerator, the cupboard  and my suitcase to get food, things, etc.  Since my in-laws pack food for me all the time, I have plenty of food containers to wash as well.  In my attempt to remain as mobile as possible, I also find as many excuses as possible to walk around the ward - get a fresh change of clothes, fill water in my tumbler, see DH off when he leaves...etc.  Now, however, I'm trying to limit my mobility around the room, doing several things at a time with each trip from my bed and back.  And I'm not even attempting to venture out of the ward because I would sure get into trouble with the nurses!

I currently weigh 68kg, which means that I have put on more than 20kg (46.2lbs) since I became pregnant.  What used to be my waist is now measuring at 42 inches.  The Peri didn't measure the babies weight during the last scan, so I have to wait till next Friday to know their weight.

Sigh!  The days will surely pass by even slower from now on.  I'm trying to keep positive about things - at least I can still walk to the bathroom, I don't need to use a bedpan!

In the meantime, grow, babies, grow!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for you. I am also having triplets. 19 weeks and home bed rest. My crevix is thinning out. So I can't be up only to use the bathroom. I wish you alot of luck.

    ReplyDelete